Tuesday, June 16, 2015

DIY 4th of July Outfit

I'm squeezing in one last blog post before the packers come!  I have wanted to share this project for a while now.  I made this outfit for my girls back in '09 and have wanted to make it again, but I waited too long and they no longer desire to have one.  With the 4th coming up, I didn't want another year to escape me without a post.  I just love this outfit and it is very easy to make without a pattern and it is definitely a beginner-level sewing project!

Supplies:  Purchased plain t-shirt (red, white or blue)
Flag fabric.  I purchased this at Walmart very cheaply
Cotton solid for ruffle bottom if desired

Put your t-shirt on your child and mark with chalk where you would like the skirt to start.  Add 1/2 inch seam allowance and cut there.

Determine the length of the skirt you want. This was minimal.  A yard of fabric is going to be more than plenty if making for a small child.  Let's say it is 10" in length.  Cut it from selvage to selvage TWICE.  Sew up the side seams and run some gathering stitches around the top till it fits the bottom of your shirt.

When making a ruffle, if you don't want to have to hem the bottom, cut it double the width.  I cut my ruffle selvage to selvage THREE times, so it would be bigger than the skirt bottom and be gathered.  Sew side seams, fold wrong sides to wrong sides, give it a good press with the iron, and sew gathering stitches around the top till it fits the bottom of your skirt.

I am by no means a skilled bow maker, but I did make them when my girls were little.  Most ended up in the floorboard of our vehicle.  Their hair would look so pretty and by the time we made it to school, they would have removed them!  There are plenty of tutorials online to make hair bows.

You can also make a bandana.  This was from a girl's New Look pattern, but you can just as easily cut 2 triangles of fabric and then attach some packaged red bias binding.

For the shirt applique, I ironed some fusible web to the back of one of the flags on a fabric scrap.  Next, I ironed it on the t-shirt, put some stabilizer on the back side, and then appliqued it with a narrow zig zag stitch.  This is really easy to do if you haven't done it before.  It definitely makes the outfit.  If you do put an applique on the shirt, it is easiest to do this before attaching the skirt.  Do put the shirt on your child first to determine where you want the applique to be so you get the placement right.

Make sure you prewash your fabrics first.  I had a hard time with my red cotton solid color fading.  You don't want it fading on your t-shirt every time you wash it!  

I'm in serious sewing withdrawal mode right now.  You wouldn't think so with as busy as we have been preparing for our move.  I'd much rather be sewing though.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Jalie 2563

Jalie 2563
Sport Top
Size S
Alterations:  Cut down the top to be a little lower.

I wasn't going to do another blog post till we moved, but I made a couple bras before packing up my sewing machines.  It occurred to me that I would like/need to have some extra bras for the period we'll be living out of a suitcase!  And since I made up the Romper from Simplicity 2222, I definitely needed a racer back bra so my bra straps wouldn't be visible.  Thank you Jalie for another awesome pattern!

I used some stretch lace I bought from Sew Sassy, as well as piping elastic, plush elastic, and bra strapping.  The pattern calls for FOE, but since I wanted this for general wear and not sport, I wanted to keep it looking like a regular bra.

I kept the lower lace edge intact by sewing my plush elastic above the scalloped edge on the wrong side of the fabric.  The bra front was cut 1/2 inch longer than the back so I could enclose the elastic there.  I cut my plush elastic in 2 pieces, both 12.5 inches, and then sewed my side seams.

I also kept the lace edge intact at the top back edge.  Mesh was used for the front bra piece.

I made a muslin out of white first, using milliskin fabric.  I found the length of the pattern too long for my needs, so you can see here that I took about an inch off.  I also added a slider to the top edge, as well as the back edge and one to control the amount of bra strapping I needed.  I cut my bra strapping at 18 inches, but I can go about 15 on the next one.  I had to use all sliders since I didn't buy any black rings.  How did I manage to do that!  I need to pay more attention when I buy my bra supplies.

I have worn both of these and they are very comfortable.  I especially like the black one; it is very pretty on.  These were very quick to sew up, taking only about an hour and a half to make.

And how cute is this?  Love that Jalie has small sizes.  This is a size L for one of my girls.  Have you seen the bras out there for young girls....yawn.  I'll be making these up for my girls in bra-type fabrics too, but I couldn't resist trying this out in some cotton lycra.  This version I made exactly according to pattern instructions with the FOE.  We'll have to see how well this is liked by her.  One thing I did to make sewing the FOE easier, I basted it first with only the FOE opened and on the bottom side of the fabric, slightly creating tension on the FOE only.  Then it was so much easier to sew on with a zig zag stitch afterwards.  No pinning necessary and super fast this way.  

I'm already missing sewing, but I know we are about to get very busy, so time will be filled doing other things.  

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley